Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Day 4 - Afternoon in Antisirabe

After the half day trip to Ibity, we returned to Antsirabe to relax. Actually, I really relaxed by getting a massage at a business partially owned by Giorgio. I don't get a massage very often, but this was a real treat. I started with a 1/2 hour and extended it to an hour for a few Ariary more.

I became really interested in the man powered taxis called pousse pousses. I really think these carts could be used in areas like Downtown Memphis to get around. Being so interested we went on an adventure to their local "factory" to see how they are made and what they would cost. Actually, I could buy them for about $100 each and have them custom painted. I thought it would be worth a try to get a dozen shipped here. I'd have to see if the city center commission would allow them. Anyway... it made for an interesting afternoon.

Here are some shots of us at Giorgio's Italian restaurant, pousse pousse cart factory and taking a pousse pousse ride.

Giorgio outside his restaurant. The Malagasy Minister of Security ate there the night before. Giorgio talked about how they came in with an entourage of bodyguards with AK47s.

Tony, our driver was mentioned in an article written by Federico in the June 2010 issue of The Mineralogical Record. This is a photo of him proudly signing my personal copy.

Tony showing the cover of The Mineralogical Record.

Doug, in awe of his Italian sandwich 

Better yet, Doug showing us the beads he just bought from street vendors. No, Doug is not gay.


A pousse pousse cart under construction.

220 volt wires just laying around on the "factory" floor. Accidentally touching the unshielded wire will kill you dead. Didn't see OSHA anywhere in the whole country.
Nice artwork on the back of some pousse pousse carts.



More artwork on the back of a pousse pousse cart.

Another back of a pousse pousse cart.

Under construction...



Inside the "factory"

Girogio relaxing

These cart drivers actually draft each other. This is a shot of me looking out the back of our cart as we are "driving".

I guess my cart "driver" was getting tired pulling my extra weight. Girogio's "driver" pulls ahead.

Girogio pulling away

This is a velo pousse. Nice ride.




No comments:

Post a Comment